Religious / Cultural Tourism

Monastery of St. Luke

Monastery of St. Luke

The Monastery of St. Luke (Hosios Lukas Monastery), built at an altitude of 430 meters, is located in the west side of mount Elikonas, under the citadel of Ancient Steiri. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is a great Christian pilgrimage. It is one of the most important monuments of middle Byzantine art and architecture. The temple is dedicated to St. Luke, when he was a hermit in the area during the last years of his life (946-953), establishing, at the same time, the monastic activity in the area.

Monastery of Panaghia of Skripou

Monastery of Panaghia of Skripou

The Monastery of the Assumption of Virgin Mary (Kimisi theotokou), also known as “the Temple of Panaghia of Skripou”, is located near the ancient settlement of Orchomenos. It is a Monastery church built in the 9th century BC. Today, only its main temple remains and operates, which is dedicated to the Assumption of the Mother of God and Apostles Peter & Paul. It was probably designed as a grave monument of Leon, the Byzantine Emperor, who was the one that established the Monastery (873-874). The Monastery celebrates on 15 august, 23 August (on the day of the Assumption of Mother of God) and 13 September, on the day when in 1943, Orchomenos and its inhabitants were saved from the german army of the Axis occupation who attempted to burn the town and its people. According to the tradition, they were saved thanks to a miracle of Virgin Mary, hence the celebration on 10 September.

Temple of St. Paraskevi

Temple of St. Paraskevi

The Temple of St. Paraskevi stands majestically in the centre of Chalkida, dating from the 5th century and being a particularly important Byzantine monument. It is believed to have been constructed by Justinian, the Byzantine Emperor on the remnants of an ancient temple dedicated to Zeus. It is an important religious monument and pilgrimage, as the icon of St. Paraskevi is considered as miraculous, with a large number of pilgrims making offerings to her. The temple celebrates on 26 July.

Monastery of St. Ioannis Rossos

Monastery of St. Ioannis Rossos

One of the most important Christian pilgrimages not only in Euboea but also in the entire Christianism is the temple of St. Ioannis Rossos in Prokopi, North Euboea. In the temple there is the relic of the Saint that is considered as miraculous, so a lot of pilgrims from every part of Greece arrive at the temple every day. /The relic was carried to the temple in 1924, during the population exchange, as the Christian residents of Prokopi of Asia Minor took the relic of the Saint and brought it in their new country. The temple at Prokopi was constructed in 1930 to honour the Saint. It is such an important pilgrimahe that people from many parts of Euboea arrive at the tmeple on foot (especially the day before the day the Saint celebrates ). The memory of St. Ioannis Rosso is celebrated on May 26.

Monastery of St. David

Monastery of St. David

It is one of the most historical and beautiful monasteries in Euboea and is located in the slopes of mount Kavalaris in the northern part of Euboea. It is believed, yet not certain, that it was built before 1400. St David is said to have founded the temple around 1550 on the remnants of the previous temple that had been damaged by the Turks in 1470 after they occupied the island. A couple of chapels have been built around and outside the Monastery, while it is famous for the miraculous properties of monk Jacob who was the abbot of the monastery for many years until the end of his life. About 1km from the Monastery is “Aghioneri”. According to the tradition, this is where after St. David beat his wand, abundant thermal water started running. The monastery celebrates on August 6 the day of the Transfiguration of Jesus as well as on November 1 the day when the memory of St. David celebrates.

Monastery of Metamorfosi Sotiros

Monastery of Metamorfosi Sotiros

Within a verdant environment, outside Vracha village in Evrytania, you will find the Monastery of Metamorfosi Sotiros, also known as Vracha Monastery that is believed to have been built around 1600 and belongs to the post-Byzantine period. It was the most important monastery in East Agrafa. The monks developed a remarkable activity during the years of the Ottoman rule and during the Greek War of Revolution in 1821, which lead to the disaster of the Monastery by the Turks. Today, only the main temple of the Monastery remains, which is considered an important listed monument, while the murals from the 18th century are significant and preserved in good condition.

Proussos Monastery

Proussos Monastery

Within a landscape that marvels with its natural beauty and just 33km from Karpenissi, is village Proussos with the monastery of the same name, Proussos Monastery also known as “Monastery of Panaghia Proussiotissa”. It is an important pilgrimage, not only in Evrytania but also in Greece, with thousands of people swarming to worship the holy icon of Virgin Mary, a work by Luke the Evangelist. The Monaastery celebrates on August 23.

Tatarna Monastery

Tatarna Monastery

In Agrafa, near Kremasta reservoir and close to the old bridge of the same name (Tatarna Bridge) is the historical Monastery of Panaghia Tatarna. Its distinctive name is believed to mean “meeting point for people”. Its date of construction remains unknown. However according to the tradition, it was founded in the 12th century. It was completely damaged in 1821 when the monks helped Odysseas Androutsos in his victorious battle against the Turks that took place in the area. It was re-constructed in 1844 but unfortunately it was damaged again in 1963 due to landslides. The new monastery was built in 1970. From the remnants of the first structure the mosaic sacred icon of the “Utmost Humility” remains, dating from the 12th-13th century and is kept in the sacristy of the Monastery as a treasure.

Agathonos Monastery

Agathonos Monastery

The historical Monastery of the Assumption, widely known as “Agathonos Monastery”, is located in Lamia, at village Lychno. Today, it is considered as one of the most important pilgrimages in Greece. According to the tradition, the old monastery where St. Agathonas used to live as a hermit, sunk into the ground and the icon of Virgin Mary disappeared and was found inside a cave in the area. There, close to the cave, at the current site of the Monastery, was where St. Agathonas built the monastery during the 14th -15th century where the miraculous icon was transferred. After the assumption of its founder, St. Agathonas Monastery, a typical example of the Byzantine period, was renamed “Agathonos Monastery” by the monks. The contribution of the monastery and the monks during the Greek War of Revolution in 1821 and the years of the National Defense is considered as significant. In the museum of the monastery remain many heirlooms and sacred relics.

Damasta Monastery

Damasta Monastery

Just 23km from Lamia, within a natural environment of unrivalled beauty, characterized by rich vegetation, is the Monastery of Panaghia Damasta, dedicated to the Nativity of Virgin Mary and became a nunnery in 1953. The date of its construction still remains unknown, however, the main temple of the monastery dates from the 11th century and the paintings date from 1810-1820. In the monastery is the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary that a lot of pilgrims come from every part of the world to worship. The monastery celebrates on September 8.

Dadi Monastery Panaghia Gavriotissa

Dadi Monastery Panaghia Gavriotissa

In the northeast side of Parnassus, just 5km from Amfikleia, within a wonderful area packed with green and at an altitude of 800 meters, is the Monastery of Panaghia Gavriotissa. It used to be a convent but since 1954 it operates as a nunnery. At its present site was the old monastery of the Byzantine period. The current structures date from the 18th century. In the main temple of the monastery is kept the miraculous icon of Panaghia Gavriotissa. The monastery celebrates on September 8.

Panaghia Varnakova Monastery

Panaghia Varnakova Monastery

In the southwest edge of Phocis, in the foothills of mount Vardoussia, is one of the most historical monasteries in Greece, the Monastery of Panaghia Varnakova, dedicated to the Assumptio of Virgin Mary. In the monastery is kept the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary -dating from the year of establishment of the monastery- for which a large number of pilgrims visits the monastery. The monastery was founded in 1077 by St. Arsenios Varnakovitis and has been a significant religious centre of the area until this date, hence the name “Aghia Lavra of Roumeli”. It played an important role during the Greek War of Revolution in 1821. In 1984 it was abandoned but today it operates again as a nunnery.